What You Need for Driving a Car

Many people are fascinated by cars, and lots of them have driving licenses. They also have different vehicles, and some people prefer to get the car before getting the license. However, you’ll have to comply with some rules to be able to drive a car, even if you already have one.

First of all, DVLA is the authority responsible for everything that’s related to cars and other vehicles, and they are the only ones who can tell you everything you need to know about this. However, let’s see some interesting things that could help you out in the future.

Getting or Changing the License

what-you-need-for-driving-a-carYou can’t get the driving license if you don’t have the legal age. There are different rules around the world, but here you need to be at least 16 years old to be able to get your first provisional driving license.

This allows you to go to driving school and learn the rules for driving a vehicle on public roads. The law considers that when you get 16 years old, you are old enough to understand why you need to respect and comply with the rules and the laws.

You’ll have to use the DVLA contact number for getting in touch with them, and you can apply directly online for any driving license. If you are older, and you already have a license, there can also be different situations when you need to contact DVLA for changing it. If you modify the address or the name, you will have to notify DVLA – it’s free of charge if you apply online, but you can also use the postal services. The last option costs some money, but it’s cheaper than paying the fine that you could get if you don’t announce the change.

There are some papers that you need to fill and sent them to DVLA, but most of the forms are available on their website. If you can’t find something, you can call them and ask for further information. Make sure you have insurance for your car. Use the Admiral contact number to get a quote.

The Cars

Being the authority in this area, DVLA will also help you in registering the car in your name or taking your car off public roads. If you have a car, and you sell it or if you buy a car, you will have to call the DVLA contact number and ask about what papers you need to provide. You’ll have to send them everything that they request so that they can issue the papers with the information up to date.

They can also provide you with new vehicle registration certificates – the log books – and you can use the info that they have for changing the name or the address on it.

Taxing your vehicle is mandatory, and that’s one of the reasons why you have to notify DVLA about getting a new car or selling the one that you have. In some cases, you might get a tax refund if you provide them with the right info at the requested time.

The truth is that it’s for your own good to have all these papers in order – your driving license is essential because it allows you to drive on public roads, while the log book registers the owners of the car. If your vehicle is stolen, for example, they will help in identifying the car faster by providing the right information to the responsible authorities – like the police forces.

 Don’t forget that if you don’t contact DVLA when you have to; it can lead to paying high fines. It’s not worth receiving a fine for not declaring the change of your address when you can do it for free and in receive the driving license or the log book in less than a week. Consider insurance also for your car! As it is essential for you to legally drive with insurance. If you’re interested in car insurance check out some of the providers listed on